Tuesday, May 10, 2005

What the hell is happening in our country?

This is the exact question that rose in my mind when I read this. Apparently, this is third rape case in past 10 days in my hometown, Delhi. I am more than just shocked. I have grown up in capital and have known it forever that it is not a safe place after all. However, the rate at which crime is increasing in Delhi and NCR is worrisome. Especially crime against women, have increased tremendously over the years. I strongly feel that our system is too generous to criminals. Rape for me is far more heinous crime than cold-blooded murder. Yet, I recall only one incident in recent past when capital punishment was given to rapist in case of Dhananjoy Chatterjee. Most times, either the rapist is not convicted or if he is, then maximum punishment he gets is a life sentence. I think SC must send out strong signals by giving death sentence to all rape case convicts. For all those anti-capital punishment lobbyists, I would I ask a simple question; would they still oppose death sentence to rapist, if the victim was their own sister?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home